As you probably realize, the Okanagan in general has been in a hot market for a few years now and it doesn’t seem to be slowing down. Homes in desirable areas are selling sometimes before they
Top Reasons to List – Buy & Sell Over The Winter
Dated: December 2 2020
A home is so much more than four walls and a roof and it might represent the biggest purchase you’ll ever make. That being said, wouldn’t you want to make the most amount of return on your purchase and sale ? Timing is the biggest contributing factor to achieve that goal.
I’ve heard many times in my career the reasons why home owners want to wait till spring to make a move in real estate. These are often uneducated reasons!
The fact of the matter is, the reasons are endless and it’s my job as a REALTOR® to be equipped with facts and a strong reality check to combat these reasons we hear everyday.
To help you through the winter season I put together some of the top reasons you should want to choose this time of year to buy, sell or list a home.
Top Reasons to Sell Real Estate Over The Winter
#1 – Serious Buyers
• Yes there are fewer buyers, but those buyers are usually very SERIOUS about making a purchase or many HAVE to make a purchase.
#2 – Less Competition
• Most sellers wait until the spring or summer to list, so your home will have far less competition
• Spring = Greater supply = Same Demand = Less Money
#3 – January is the Biggest Transfer Month
• More corporate relocation moves happen during January than any other time of the year.
• Catch the corporate relocation buyers
#4 – High Attentive Efficient Service
• By putting the home on the market during the winter you experience better, personal and faster customer service from movers, lawyers, banks, insurance providers etc.
#5 – More Time to Get Top Dollar
• By starting to market your home early, you may be able to secure a higher price with more listing exposure time.
#6 – Time to Shop
• If your home sells quickly, you will be able to shop for your next home during the winter, a great time to find a bargain!
• More time to look and not pressure to shop and beat the other buyers.
#7 – More Advertising Punch
• Most REALTORS® and offices have less inventory during the winter, enabling your home to stand out even more.
• Less marketing noise out there for the buyers and they see your home with ease now.
#8 – The Inexpensive Money
• Today’s interest rates are still some of the lowest in history. This gives buyers more spending power and increases your buyer pool
• When shopping for your next home, you can benefit from the low interest on your new mortgage.
#9 – 20% of Homes Sold During the Winter
• Buyers and Sellers are usually quite motivated to get the transaction completed.
• This can mean less price haggling and fewer hassles during the process.
#10 – Non-Contingent Buying
• By selling now, you may have an opportunity to be a non-contingent buyer during the spring, when more houses are on the market!
• Less “subject to the sale” offers from buyers and you are not one of them when you are buying your next home.
#11 – No Yard Work
• Great time for a home that needs a yard make over to sell.
• No need to worry about your yard work. Snow makes it look fresh and white.
#12 – Buyers Are Searching
• Buyers begin the search and purchase for spring moves in January, February.
• Busy move times are March Spring Break, April Easter and May long weekend
#13 – No Pricing Games
• Less choice for buyers means less sellers to play pricing against each other
• Buyers will often make more concession in their buying decision with less choice
#14 – Show Time
• Property shows well, almost staged with holiday décor adding to the ambiance
• Tis the season for your home to shine!
#15 – Quality Showings
• Little chance of quick showings and not being prepared to show your home
• Easier time of year to make appointments and give sellers advance notice.
• Higher quality showings
#16 – Right Buyer, Right Time
• The odds are the same for the right buyer looking at your home regardless of the season.
• Right buyer, right time, right home
Top 10 Reasons to Buy Over The Winter
#1 – Competing Offers
• Little or no chance of multiple or competing offers for the buyer
#2 – Service
• Better service from all service providers like the agents, banks, insurers etc. Not as busy now.
#3 – Motivation
• Sellers motivated at this time of year if still trying to sell from summer or fall.
#4 – Negotiation
• Sellers willing to negotiate, been on the market for some time now. Give and take.
#5 – Expired
• Buyers can shop the expired listings market, which has the largest selection this time of the year.
#6 – Closing Options
• Good time of year to make an offer and do the due diligence, buyers can move quickly now or slower in the spring if not in a rush.
#7 – Housing Options
• Easier for sellers to find alternative housing, not as much pressure finding a rental vs. the really busy spring and summer season.
#8 – Subject to the Sale
• Great time for buyers to make contingent “Subject to the Sale” offers and get them accepted and movement on the price.
#9 – Moving Services
• Easier time for a buyer to move and find help and services like movers, cleaners, storage.
#10 – Completions
• Better timing for buyers on completions with lawyers, banks land registry. Not that busy and time to attend to you now.
#11 – Competition
• Less competition for the same property from other buyers on the deals that pop up this time of year.
Generally it’s always a good time to buy and sale real estate. However there are lows and highs, busy and slow seasons.
What you need a good real estate agent to know when it is a good time to hold or good time to sell. And that’s why I’ve got me!
I’d love to hear your opinion about this and if you have questions about the market - give me a call. I would love the opportunity to share what I can do for you and how I can get you the best value on your Okanagan purchase and/or sale.
Please pass on this post using 🌐 https://linktr.ee/joleneiglesias
📍 Jolene Iglesias REALTOR® in Kelowna
*The best compliment I can earn as your agent is a referral. Your referrals mean the world to me and it is with your support that I survive in this business. Doing what’s best for you is my top priority!
Hi I’m Jolene, I want to introduce myself. I’ve been a REALTOR® in the Okanagan Valley since 2012. I hail from a little town called Chase in the Shuswap Lakes, my decision to build my dream li....
Latest Blog Posts
Residential sales for July continued to climb with an increase of 38% compared to June totaling 1,094 units across the region of Revelstoke to Peachland, up 35% compared to this time last year,
To Help Serve You Better ...all the information you need to make the right choices that benefit you. A home is so much more than four walls and a roof. And for most people it represents